Sunday, July 20, 2008

What's the Deal With...?

What's the deal with FPS's and Space Marines? Everyone seems to be doing Space Marines: Halo, Quake, Doom, Haze, etc. etc. etc. etc! Now I didn't mention Warhammer 40k because they probably pioneered the Space Marine. It got old after Quake 4, so why do they keep doing it? Have developers run out of ideas? Does this look infected? (Just Kidding) Need ideas developers? Alright, I'll puke a couple out right now.
  1. It'll be called "The Gun Bloodening" and will be a western horror. A town is over run with zombies and it's up to some Clint Eastwood type character to save the day. Make lots of gore to stay true to the title.
  2. It'll be called "Mensch-Maschine" (German for Man-Machine) and it will be an action game. A half man-half machine... thing is terrorizing a town and a group of teenagers decide to take it down by any means necessary.
Okay, I'll admit they aren't that great, but I don't see you doing any better! All I see you putting out is Space Marine FPS games and J-RPGs. If you said to me, "I don't see you coming out with anything better than Halo!" I would just sigh and say, "It's not hard to come out with anything better than Halo and if you don't believe me then maybe I should, maybe I should make a game and rub it in your face." If you say nothing is better than Halo then:
  1. You are a fanboy (most likely)
  2. You have no taste in good games
  3. You are a moron
  4. You probably only care about graphics and multiplayer, and less about story and single player gameplay.
I can name three great games that most Halo fans and must-be-state-of-the-art graphics people would stay away from:
  1. System Shock 2
  2. Dark Forces
  3. Operation Flashpoint
Halo fans would pick up all of those and say things like (yes another list):
  1. "No regenerating health bar, wtf!"
  2. "No repetitive gameplay, SOB!"
  3. etc. (I don't feel like listing every possibilty)
The graphics people would just be pissed and grossed out by how outdated the graphics are and to them I sigh and give them a dunce hat.

1 comment:

John said...

I agree with some of what you said. Mostly the space marine stuff. People have to get more creative.