Sunday, August 23, 2009

SQUEE! Review


So I'm still not over how awesome Weird Science was. To continue the awesomeness I just finished Squee! by Jhonen Vasquez. This graphic novel was one laugh after another. It's episodic and each episode is hilarious with little author's notes. That's what also made me laugh was the small author's notes littered about the pages. Some of the jokes made me feel so immature, but quite frankly I don't care, they were disgustingly funny. Some of it was disturbing and even the author admits that. They break the fourth wall. It's pretty much Invader Zim without Zim, Dib, and Gaz. The first part of the graphic novel is all the Squee! stuff, the second half is a bunch of random comics that are funny as well. Jhonen has this little series in the book called "Real Drama" or something like that and the first one is so weird and hilarious I loved it. It starts with this mom running into a hospital and screaming for the doctor to help her baby. The doctor puts a stethiscope to the baby and takes the baby and runs out the door screaming. He throws the baby up in the air and the baby blows up. Then the doctor says to the mom, "I'm sorry, you were too late." and the last frame is the mom just standing there. I'm laughing hard even as I type this. There's also some stupid aliens in the beginning that make me laugh because of just out dumb they are! I think what makes the book funny is all those author's notes I talked about and how the humor is geared towards adults sometimes and then towards kids at other times. I'll give some examples... there's a scene where the main character, Todd, his dad is watching TV and the TV shows a child being born and there's an author's note to the side that says, "Watching Todd's birth is reverse." As mean as that might be, it's just down right funny. The adult humor comes in where Todd's future self comes to warn him about something and he says, "In the future traffic doesn't slow to a crawl because a cop is handing out a ticket, it's great!" I find that humor geared towards any adult that may read the book, I got it, I found it funny. The humor geared towards kids comes in with one page. The setting is Todd's bedroom and there's a giant disgusting monster holding a bunch of kids saying, "Hope you don't mind that I borrow the closet for a few minutes. Just knock if I'm making too much noise." I found that to be geared towards kids because of how kids may think there's a monster in their closet. If you are into Jhonen's work or if you like oddly funny things or... well... you know what... go out and buy it or I'll be forced to have you shunned by society.
(Jhonen Vasquez)

1 comment:

Lord Andrew said...

You've convinced me to go out and perhaps purchase this fine piece of word-on-page!