Thursday, February 26, 2009

Iron Storm First Impressions

So in addition to ZPC I got Iron Storm so I could have some more games to play. Iron Storm takes place in an alternate universe of the 60s where World War I never ended. The story was the selling point for me and seeing screenshots of running around in trenches seemed pretty cool to me because I've always looked for a World War I game to play. I also felt that I'd enjoy this because IGN gave it an 8 out of 10. Now when I got the game it came with a bunch of advertisements (of for Painkiller which I found really odd) and a fake newspaper from the era of the game, which is pretty cool. It seems almost like this newspaper could exist, it gives sports news of the era and all that stuff. So I eagerly installed the game and forced myself away from ZPC to play it. The opening cinematic has bad voice acting. I heard it and thought someone was playing line through Microsoft Sam, I let it fly though. So it has bad voice acting, I thought, I can manage! The menu sound FX are so annoying and repetitive. The programmers apparently get a stiffy to the sound of a silenced pistol shooting. Every time you move your cursor over a button you get a silenced pistol sound effect. Every time you click on a button you get an explosion. The first level you have to take out enemy snipers and then infiltrate enemy lines by getting into a church, it's very confusing. It seems like it's attempting to be Medal of Honor or something. The enemies' guns have magic power that does more damage to you than your guns do to them. While staying on the topic of enemies and guns, whenever you are shot you move back. So when two enemy soldiers are unloading on you you are being forced back six feet every two seconds, it's so annoying. Anyways, the reason I call this a "First Impression" is because I couldn't finish the first level to save my life, this game sucks something feirce. I wish I had bought Deus Ex or something I know I would've liked. What are the positives of this game? Well... it's a game... you can play it.

Score: sucks something fierce out of 10.

"Take out those snipers with your rifle!"
(REALLY!?!?!? WITH MY RIFLE!?!?!?!? I was gonna use a rock, but that works!)

1 comment:

John said...

rofl lol

wow, sorry that it sucked so fiercely, you were debating on what game to get for like 2 weeks.