Saturday, June 5, 2010

Outer Limits Review


So, I just bought Outer Limits by Native Instruments and Zero G and for the one hour that I was messing with it, I am bum over noggin for this thing. Every sound is so haunting that it delights me. I could create dozens and dozens of horror soundtracks with this. I've run into one issue though and that is with registration, it said my key was invalid so I have to get that dealt with. So for those of you that don't know what Outer Limits is (I'm guessing all of you) it is a virtual instrument full of dark ambience sounds that is just down right awesome. I don't think I've ever been happier with a purchase to be honest. With this I could definitely make the next greatest horror game soundtrack. I don't see this being used with movies or TV shows like I do with games. Maybe it's just that video games influence my music, but whatever, I definitely want to start doing some video game soundtracks now! Heck, maybe I'll actually make a video game, psh, yeah, and David Lynch will make a movie that won't have weirdness in it. For a virtual instrument the price is pretty cheap, I got this at Sam Ash for $160, that's $40 cheaper than MSRP. The patches seem to be very pressure sensitive, unless my MIDI controller is just very flimsy (I have a KORG NanoKey). I realize that most of this review is very fractured because I keep breaking to rave about this thing, but it's true, it is the coolest virtual instrument you can buy... if you're into dark ambience or something like that. While going through the patches I realized how each patch is so unique. I feel like the people that made this slaved over making these patches, even the patches under the group Minimalist seem that way. Oh yeah, groups, there are many different patch groups that come with this software. The patch groups are all labeled by what they sound like, I guess, I mean, some of these patches are just so different that I couldn't even put them in a specific category or group. I don't know what else to say about this other than excited gibberish, so I'll close by saying if you are into dark ambience or are looking for something different than your typical virtual instrument get this.

...
Wow, my first review in like forever, and for a virtual instrument no less, and it sucks... well... deal with it.

No comments: