Sunday, March 29, 2009

Love album review (quickie)

So while I'm working on my long review of the Front Line Assembly album I figured I should post a quick review of the Foetus album "Love".




"Love" was released in 2005 by the band Foetus which features ex-PIG member J.G. Thirlwell. The album art/insert is really interesting and features vibrant art that is very simplistic.
Now let's move on to the music because this is what I want to talk most about. The instrumentals are FUCKING incredible! The percussion is a little sub-par and garage, but everything else masks that. The instrumentals are incredibly symphonic and you can hear that J.G. Thirlwell used to be in PIG. Lots of horns and harpsicord. Whenever guitar shows up it's very electric and distorted, and I like that. There are occasionally a few synth loops, but not very often. The instrumentals sometimes sound like they came out of a horror soundtrack.
The vocals... I'm not too fond of. They are very... whiny. It's like a punk vocalist who was inspired by main stream male vocalists. Though I'm not fond of them now, I'm sure I may become so in the future.
One thing I've noticed with the music is that towards the end of songs the intensity tends to kick up and make you go, "Aw, hell yeah!" then the song ends and you feel a little down. Not to fear, the intensity does get stretched out later in the album.
Overall, this album kicks so much ass! I'm very glad that I decided to get it! I recommend this album to anyone who likes early PIG works, classical music, and rock music then you should most definitely pick up "Love" by Foetus. It's a must have!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

> ex-PIG member J.G. Thirlwell.

> you can hear that J.G. Thirlwell used to be in PIG


hahahaha