Sunday, December 14, 2008

Left 4 Dead review

So I finally have something new to review. Excited? You should be.
So my friend got Left 4 Dead for his PC and as I watched him play it I found it rather inviting. I am kind of into the "Painkiller" style of gameplay where the room will be kind of empty then suddenly a swarm of enemies coming rushing at you. Eventually I decided to play it. We were in the first campaign, third level, if my memory serves me correctly. I pull out the now duel wielded M1911s and unleash hell upon a horde of zombies rushing up the stairs. I felt like a total bad ass playing this game I'm not gonna lie. Every weapon feels about as powerful as it would be in real life, and the melee attacks compliment that in the same fashion. The game does a nice job of ensuring the claustrophobic environments by giving you a flashlight (that is on at all times mind you) that lights up such a small portion of the screen that you hardly know what type of room you're in. It can definitely be frustrating with the zombie variants that surprise you or rush at you. First there's your standard zombie which can run, jump, climb, and hardcore dance. Right now you might be confused as to why a zombie would hardcore dance or if I'm joking. No I'm not joking and I have no idea why a zombie would hardcore dance either; I threw a pipe bomb and as the light for it flashed and it counted down with beeps zombies started rushing towards the bomb and as they got to it they started hardcore dancing. Then the bomb blew up annihilating all of them. The next type of zombie is the hunter, this bitch flies at you and is just annoying. Even more annoying is the smoker, this guy lynches you with his mile long tongue, they appear freaking EVERYWHERE and come out of NOWHERE!!! The last three zombies are the witch, boomer, and tank. The witch is a bitch that kills you in one hit. The boomer is a fat guy that blows up when you shoot him. Tanks are massive William Birkin pimple rejects. The weapons are limited, there's the M1911, an uzi, a mini-14, an m16a2, a trench shotgun, and an auto-loading shotgun. The environments have some variety, one being a giant city, one being the suburbs, and so-on and so-forth. After the second campaign the game gets kind of tiresome. I haven't played multiplayer yet, but if I did and had a bunch of friends to play it with there would be strategy and it would be a lot more fun. But for now I must resort to single player. Overall, it's fun for short periods of time, but if you're looking for a game to occupy your weekends, this might not be the game to get.

I give Links Fur Dead (Left For Dead) an 8.5 out of 10.

No comments: